Results for the 2013/14 Screen Industry Survey just released by Statistics New Zealand show revenue for the year remained solid at $3.2 billion, in line with industry expectations. Screen NZ, the virtual screen sector agency of the New Zealand Film Commission, Film New Zealand and NZ On Air, welcomed the comprehensive data from Statistics New Zealand which showed a slight increase of $7 million for the year ended April 2014.
Key data includes:
- Total revenue for the screen industry of $3.2 billion
- The screen industry contributed $1.1 billion of ‘added value’ to the economy (equating to almost half a percent of GDP)
- Employment information (to April 2013) shows the majority of screen businesses (96%) were engaged in production and post-production work
- A total of 15,500 people employed by the industry earning $742 million in wages.
- Feature films contribute 50% of production and post-production revenue
- North America continues to be New Zealand’s strongest international market
- Co-productions between New Zealand businesses and international partners rose to 79 (from 60 in 2013)
You can find out more on the Statistics New Zealand Website.